Originally Posted By: mark
Stan, I had a little training and experience with gas and stick welding before I got my TIG. I muddled around with the TIG but it did not come together until I took the welding for gunsmith class at Trinidad. When I had free time I welded up hooks on a few junk barrels I brought then filed them off with a rat tail file and repeated. If you need some junk barrels to play with let me know I would be happy to send you some.

My welder is a small Miller DC suit case model that is lift start.

Thank you so much, Mark. I have one set of junked barrels I can practice on. If I need any more I'll give you a ring. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: craigd
If it's okay with you Stan, would you comment later on the general type of machinery and settings that might be good to look into?

I certainly will, Craig. It will most likely be as soon after the holiday season as I can arrange it. Remind me, please, if I forget.

Originally Posted By: Nick. C
Stan, something I'd forgotten to mention, a set which is compatible with a foot pedal is a huge advantage. If things get too hot you can back off the pedal and lower the amps and vice versa. It's like an accelerator pedal in a car. It makes life easier .

Any move I make towards purchasing a TIG machine would definitely be in the direction of a unit with a foot control. The link I provided on my first post in this thread is a model that has a foot control, and high frequency start.

Thanks so much to you all for the discussion and the information.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/20/18 08:39 AM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.