What I need is a TIG machine for my little shop that is suitable for welding up barrel hooks, rib extensions, screw holes in ribs, etc. I'm sick and tired of sending barrels out to be fitted to actions and having them come back with one barrel making contact with the breech face and seeing .003" daylight on the other side...................... at best. I'm going to learn to do this job myself, using a milling machine for the primary cut on the hook. In order to do this right I need to be able to weld the hook after setting up the barrels in a fixture, and not have to mess with the mill until I get the hook welded and put back in the fixture.

I don't have a mill, but a close friend and neighbor does. If I can set up the barrels in the fixture, indicate everything, take them out and weld the hook, then put them back in friend's mill the same day and make the plunge cut, I can do the rest of the minor filing to fit them. This eliminates sending the barrels off to have the hook welded.

A small machine like the Eastwood or the Everlast seems like a good way to go, but I'm still open to suggestions. I certainly cannot justify a laser welder for my hobby work.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/15/18 10:16 PM. Reason: punctuation

May God bless America and those who defend her.