The offending bushing died by blunt force trauma.

First of all thanks to all the feedback. I am relatively new to double guns and I am even newer to LC Smiths. This gun is a 1987 field grade that I came by for 325 including a really nice leather mutton leg gun case. I happened to see it just as it was listed on GB and it had a buy in now of 325.

I had been looking for a real nice and cheap learning project and there was just too much that looked like it was worth taking a chance on so I jumped on it.

When I got it I was more than pleasantly surprised. The barrels look untouched, rang true and if it has a pit or two it is arguable. The stock was un-cracked and sound. The lock up is vault tight and smooth as silk. Not a spec of pitting on the other metal.

Here is the receiver sans the son of a bushing. The left bushing came out easy enough.

Couple other pics

The deceased offender

I took the advice of trying to rotate it with a punch. I had not taken the Zep to it though. The punch did nothing but mar the bushing. I feel pretty good about my self in that I gave it the requisite patience(this is against my nature but a moral victory all in of itself). At this Point I said damn it all and got back in touch with my cave man side and went in head long.

I crafted a small chisel and started digging around the firing pin keeping a margin of metal surrounding the receiver threads. After I dug a little crater around the pin I pushed the pin toward the breach face and then took a chain saw sharpening stone and ground the FP protrusion flush down to the bottom of my crater. This allowed me to retract the pin recessing it about 3/32" into the bushing. I now had a section of bushing that did not have any pin in it and then using the this void section of bushing hole as a guide I drilled in the hole with 3 progressively larger bits still keep a margin of metal around the receiver threads. It took me 4 rounds to get through to the backside of the bushing which then allowed the pin to fall out.

Back to the chisel and once I relieved a little metal at the top of the hole all the way back to the receiver I then used a punch to drive the busking out rotationally.

Maybe luck but victory at last.

No threads were harmed and I have a new set of bushings on the way.

I am learning a lot and no high grade guns are being monkeyed with.

Thanks for letting me share

Last edited by Travis S; 10/15/18 07:52 AM.