My first rifle was a Savage Model 340 .30-30, the rifle with which I killed my first deer. Over the years I've accumulated quite a number, some of which came and went. They included double rifles (a Belgian .405 Winchester weighing 7-1/2 pounds that was more gun than I was man remains in my memory; the .250-3000 German double that replaced it was far more fun to shoot); single shots (primarily small frame Martini rifles, both BSA target rifles of various models and customized Cadets, although I have one Swinburne's Patent Martini currently being restored and an older Winchester Hi-Wall with a .218 Bee barrel rechambered to .219 Zipper Improved; there was once also a custom Ruger No. 1 .270); lever actions (Marlin 336 in .219 Zipper, Marlin 336A .30-30 and Marlin 39A .22; Winchester Model 64 .30-30 and Savage Model 99 .300 Savage); and more bolt actions (SAKO L61R .270, Remington 700 .222, CZ .204 Ruger, Springfield 1922 converted to .22 Hornet repeater, and Remington 725 .280 Remington). There have even been a couple of pumps (Remington .22 and Remington Model 141 in .32 Remington). And there are quite a number of .22s of various makes and designs. When my dad passed away, his Winchester Model 94 came to live with me as well. Somewhere along the line, I even ended up with a Springfield Armory M1A, a rifle I have no earthly use for, as all the DCM style matches in my area conflict with church on Sundays. It's the only semi-automatic long gun I ever owned.

These days, if I'm going deer hunting the Savage 99F goes with me. Were I ever fortunate enough to hunt elk or moose, the Remington 725 would probably be the first choice. Squirrel hunting is done with a Greener Martini .22 I had customized by a now-retired gunsmith named Brian Burgin. Varmint hunting will be done with the Springfield 1922 or the CZ.

Mostly I prefer sxs shotguns, particularly hammer guns and Darnes. My favorite is a Charles Moore 12 gauge with sleeved barrels that I bought from a member of this BBS. I shoot it regularly, both at skeet and preserve pheasants. I'd like to find a long barreled (28 or 30 inch) Darne 28 gauge and would still like to own a higher grade Manufrance Ideal, but I doubt I'll ever find either, as I don't really look anymore and I'm in an inventory reduction mode at this stage of life.

Firearms have given me immense pleasure over the years. I enjoy the craftsmanship of the older ones and marvel at what human hands and hand tools could accomplish and how long quality workmanship endures if cared for properly. We are truly fortunate to live in place where personal ownership and use of such things is permitted.