Most of us here seem to be old enough to appreciate Social Security. To add to SKB's topic about favorite rifles, I'm curious to hear how members' interests have evolved as we matured. As an adolescent, I thought the pinnacle of rifle satisfaction would be a 257 Weatherby. Fortunately, I never had the money to pursue that delusion. Then I discovered Jack O'Connor and concluded a 270 was the best single caliber. Meanwhile I'd been shooting a 30-40 Krag. When I finally had enough money to choose what I shot, I settled on the 270, and for forty years it was what I used. When my grandson started hunting, I realized that he'd inherited a trait from me that involved a slight handicap; we're both right handed but left eye dominant. We shoot left handed. Simultaneously I discovered an interest in '03 Springfields and the 30-06. I gave my left hand Dakota 270 to Nathaniel and never looked back. To me the '06 gives a lot more flexibility, mostly through the use of lead bullets. I still like the 30-40 for some of the same reasons. I once thought the Model 70 was the best thing going. Gradually I shifted to favor the 98 Mauser. I know the M70 is better than a Springfield in some technical details, but I still prefer the '03. I feel settled on the bolt rifle question. I'm still up in the air on single shots having never owned a Holland Woodward.

Bill Ferguson