Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Speaking of 'published' loads, our powder companies live in some strange alternate universe.

The 'lower' pressure loads they publish rely heavily on the flimsy 'Windjammer' wad and clones thereof. Usually in a Federal straight wall case. Can you say 'powder migration'?

It's a stupid concept. Recommending components that are mismatched like that just because they tested 5 of them under controlled conditions right from the loading bench to the pressure gun and didn't observe any inconsistency just defies common sense.

Let those rattle around in your pocket for a couple weeks and try them in cold weather and report back.

Many 'published' loads are physically either impossible to assemble with crimps that hold without adding extra filler, or they can't be made to fit without 100 pounds of wad pressure.

'Published' does not mean either 'good' or 'practical'.

They also think we want to run 7/8 oz. 12 gauge shells at 1250+ FPS. They totally misunderstand the concept of a 7/8 oz. load.

They need to scrap 75% of the 'published' garbage loads starting with all the ones that use wads for tapered hulls in straight wall cases. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

AND BRING BACK PB.

All I can say is I use 800-X in a Straight Walled hull with a Windjammer wad and in cold weather. I have never had an issue with powder migration or bloopers. Just my practical experience with them.

I like the load, but it sure seems to me you don't like any of those components. To each his own I guess.

To answer a question that may arise. I did cut open a couple of my loads at the end of the season (after bouncing around in my shell pocket) to see how they fared. I saw no appreciable powder migration and every thing was tight and proper with load stacking. Again, just my experience.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret