"I kind of inherited the L.C. Smith Man from Walt Schiessl when he passed. I use it to honor his memory, he wanted it that way. I respect your organization however doubt I will ever join. With Walt and John's help I have recovered a few of our family stolen guns, the search still goes on for others. If you happen to run across some of the guns we talked about, I would appreciate being notified. I do miss Walt and John very much.

It seems you gentlemen now put your L.C. Smith Collectors Group above the Cody Museum, I definitely know what Walt Schiessl would say."

RDG
First of all, I still have the number of your stolen "A4" and would recognize the gun immediately if it ever came to my attention; but to date I've not seen the gun, or heard any rumors that it may have surfaced. As to the explanation of the "L.C. Smith Man" moniker, thanks for the clarification. I've not corresponded with Brother Walt since 2003 and had no idea he'd passed; so I hope he is resting in peace. Many people did indeed recognize Walt as THE L.C. Smith authority; and I was one of those people until I began doing my own serious research on the Smith gun. I never met Brother Walt personally and I hope you understand that what I am about to relate is not to disparage his memory; but simply relate a personal experience and why I don't consider Walt Schiessl the Smith gun authority he claimed to. When I acquired my 1901 vintage Special Grade LC Smith depicted in the Houchins book (maybe an A4?), I wanted to learn all I could about that gun, and Brother Walt was the first person I reached out too. I sent him a number of detailed photos and asked for his professional opinion as to the engraver. Walt hand wrote a long and detailed response (which I still have) and declared that "it was his learned opinion that my gun was engraved by none other than Charles Jerred, Jr." Quite honestly I was flabbergasted at the response I'd received, because anyone who'd done the most basic research on L.C. Smith engravers would have known Charles Jerred never worked at the gunworks until 1946; and further, since Charles Jerred, Jr. wasn't even born until 1928, he wasn't even a gleam in his old man's eyeballs in 1901 when the Special was built. So perhaps you can understand why I'd place many times more faith in my personal research than I'd ever place in any information Brother Walt was willing to share; although I will confess his "stories" were quite entertaining.
As to anyone deserving of the moniker "L.C. Smith Man"; I reserve that title for Cliff White who I first met at an Atlanta gun about 1980; and for whom I still have his business card from that meeting stating "Cliff While, The L.C. Smith Man". Although I do have my differences with Brother Cliff, he's owned more Smith guns and unique company and employee items and artifacts than anyone I've ever known or can imagine. Before he decided to liquidate his original Smith collection (because he wasn't making enough new discoveries to keep Smith collecting interesting), he owned (among many other guns and Smith things) 15 of the 30 original Deluxe Grade Smiths. No one I know has ever been able to claim that accomplishment! As to John Houchins he was direct, and often rude; but always in a humorous side-splitting kind of way, and I really loved old John. But John was an attorney, and to his passing remained convinced that all he had to do was establish "reasonable cause" when trying to prove something factual; so I and others in the Smith world disagree with some of the conclusions found in his book. Still, his book is a very interesting and entertaining read; and I, and the collecting world remain forever grateful that john expended all the time and treasure he did to get his work published.

And finally, I do indeed "put the L.C. Smith Collectors Group above the Cody Museum" in terms of what we provide to the L.C. Smith collector; and I honestly don't give a tinker's toot "what Walt Schiessl would say" because I've learned first hand his "opinions" could be worthless. If I had published the information he gave me on the Special Smith, we'd have both looked like fools. And for the record anyone requesting a Cody letter will receive from the clerk handling Smith gun request letters that day only what they can regurgitate from the line entry for that serial number contained wihin the ledger. These people are not Smith collectors and could care less about digging up any additional information, which I can attest they wouldn't have anyway. A letter from the LCSCA is far more informative and will add as much, and often more value to a Smith gun than a Cody letter.
And since I'm on a roll, I'll make one more comment for the record regarding Brother Walt. When the LCSCA was formed in 2003, I personally called Mr. Schiessl and asked, since he was the nationally recognized LC Smith authority, if he would join the organization. He thanked me for the invitation but said he didn't have time for another organization. So I protested and responded "but Walt we're doing and publishing lots of research and; since you regularly advertise and sell Smith guns, you'll be a direct beneficiary of the information we'll provide. You realize that fact, so you of all people should be a member". Bottom line was that "The L.C. Smith Man" refused to have any association at all with the LCSCA. So ended my last ever conversation with Brother Walt; and yet in spite of zero support from the nationally known and recognized Mr. Schiessl, the LCSCA, as well as the credibility of the organization itself, has and continues to do extremely well. Brother Walt obviously convinced you that you shouldn't be a part of the LCSCA either; but if you were an individual who formed his own decisions, you'd be wise to take the bold step of finding out for yourself.