Well said Nudge, I don't believe it could have been said any better. As I post this time I note this will be the 47th post on this thread. It has however been viewed in excess of 1150 times, so many read who do not post. Very often I post for the benefit of those viewers with the absolute certainty I will not Sway the opinion of the one I am replying to.

In this case I have no idea at all that I will sway RGD's opinion on any thing, but perhaps some lurker out there will be persuaded not to rush out & buy a Smith solely on his bloated opinion of it as the "Best Gun in the World".

My favorite the Lefever is not the Best in the World either, but it is way & above a Smith. From the Top on down all things of a mechanical nature have compromises in their design. One simply has to choose which best fits their ideas & their needs.

I will say that I firmly believe that "Mass Production" was introduced in the US. This applied not only to guns but many other products as well. This had its pluses & minuses but it did make many items affordable to the common people which they could not otherwise have afforded. For this I am thankful.

Parts being "Made to Gauge" was I believe first introduced in the military arsenals for the rifled muskets prior to the War Between the States. It was quickly picked up by other industries as well, an early field to adopt this system was the Sewing Machine industry which began in the 1850's.

PS; while I was making this last post views jumped from 1155 to 1237, as I said many out there who only read.

Last edited by 2-piper; 08/07/18 09:25 AM. Reason: added input

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra