2 piper,

Lefever Guns are great American Boxlock double guns, most are not Sidelock double guns. That being said, they are great engineering gun design. One great design LeFever invented, and was never incorporated by L.C. Smith, is the LeFever engineering that allows some of his high grade double guns to be both an extractor and ejector gun, with a simple switch on the Breech. Simply a great piece of gun design engineering.

His locking system for his Boxlock double gun has to be adjusted with his own engineering principle, to keep the gun perfect as it wears. Not a bad engineering design, however the Hunter Arms, Brown Rotary Bolt needs no adjustment as it wears, in fact the fit gets even better as the gun wears, it's the reason LeRoy Hunter used it at Ithaca, and phased out the original LeFever lock up Engineering.

I like and own LeFever guns, I own a one of a kind LeFever/Ithaca 12 Gauge built on a 16 Gauge frame, it is just murder on Grouse, Pheasants and Ducks. Bill Brophy owned a very similar gun, his comment one night was that Hunter Arms must have been real glad that Uncle Dan decided to build Boxlock double guns. LeFever was in fact that good as a gun builder. His talents were just incredible as a Gun Designer/ Builder. As a person however Uncled Dan was very hard to deal with, some say, it was because he was a perfectionist engineer/gun designer.

RARiddell,
The Parker Brothers Boxlock gun designs were so weak compared to LeFevers engineering, they can not even be compared. Popularity has nothing to due with engineering gun design. Parker guns are nice little Boxlock double guns that have a great following however. I like them myself. Learned to Grouse hunt with my Grandfather's Parker 28 Gauge DHE. One Sweet little bird gun, no doubt about it.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Because LeRoy Hunter, older brother of the Hunter Arms Brothers, left Hunter Arms/L.C. Smith to start the Ithaca gun company, with some other Hunter Arms employees, he becoming a major partner in the Ithaca gun company. LeRoy was permitted to use an altered for Boxlock, Brown Rotary Bolt, in some of his early Ithaca/LeFever double guns. Some very serious engineering in it's own right. The LeFever/Ithaca gun below has that Brown Rotary Bolt. LeRoy never stayed around long enough to incorporate the LeFever design, allowing LeFever/Ithaca guns to be both ejector and extractor at the flip of a switch. Some of the old Ithaca employees told Bill Brophy that the Ithaca/LeFever engineering plans do exist, I have never seen them however.

Alder,
You can not fix what is not broken. I enjoy what I like and respect what others like also, from guns to dogs to Fly Fishing Rods. I like good conversation however I will not be personally insulted because of my beliefs. If insulted personally do not expect me to back down, I love President Trump because he is the same way.

canvasback,
You and Stan seem to believe you can insult another member and nothing will happen, rest assured in my case if you do not stick to the subject and attack me personally in any way, I will give it back to you in spades. I have been rudely politically incorrect to people who insult the US Constitution and the NRA or myself, all my life. If you do these things I never worry one little bit, about making you my friend.

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/06/18 04:26 PM.