DLA,

These men are giving you some sound advise, let me add this to it. Sense you can still pick up an original 12 gauge L.C. Smith for more than reasonable money $800.00 - $950.00, because there were so many of them made by Hunter Arms, in most cases stock replacement may cost more than the actual used gun.

I would use your Field Grade double gun to hunt with using SpredR loads, sense you have already invested in a repair, or send the gun to Rich Painter at Economy Gun Smithing, here in Pa, and have him fix the stock correctly prior to using it. If you have stored the gun correctly and oiled it properly also, your already repaired stock should probably not fail, using the light SpredR loads. If the man who repaired your stock knew what he was doing, it would not recrack at all.

Sense the gun is not a family hand me down from your Father and Grand Father,
if the stock does fail again, at that time then make your decision. If you decide some day to replace the stock or have it fixed correctly, I recommend Rich Painter or Freddie Brunner. These 2 Mastergun Makers do all the work on my L.C. Smith Collection, when ever something needs done. (Remember Mastergun maker is a honorary, title given to Gun Makers thru knowledge and experience.) It takes a Mastergun Maker to work on an L.C. Smith Double Gun correctly. It takes this type of knowledge and experience to do the job correctly.

Further I always recommend the Double Gun Video's "The L.C. Smith Sidelock Shotgun" with Master Gunmaker Nick Makinson. A great video that educates owners on the L.C.Smith Sidelock Double Gun.

If I can help you further let me know.

Ryman Gun Dog/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

"L.C. Smith America's Best" - John Houchins

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/03/18 02:58 PM.