I am feeling good today because I had a win with the internal tread in the bottom of the top lever of my LC Smith.
This gun has been worked on by unmentionables & I am in the process of trying to reverse up to a place that I can now repair it properly.
The top lever screw in it was a little coarse threaded self tapper just smaller than the thread size of the 4-40 screw that is original.

I naturally thought the worse for the situation but after inspecting under magnification & a bit of picking at the thread my hope grew.
The self tapper was just too small to pick up the 4-40 threads so the unmentionable put some hardening compound in the hole & ran the self tapper in. I was able to heat & pick this stuff out & after a blow out with WD40 & chasing the tread with a 4-40 tap it accepted a 4-40 screw perfectly.

Now my conundrum is to find the correct, or a workable screw to complete the repair. The ones I can find do not have a large enough head diameter to work correctly & I may yet have to make one.
But that is all better than having that female thread in the top lever all screwed up.
O.M