I was introduced to Wilton machinist vices at Trinidad State and that is what I have always used. I have bought used Wilton's on ebay as I needed them, rebuilt or repainted them when outfitting a new work station. To me they are the best general purpose vice ever made.

My shop now has 7 Wilton vices (?) from 1 1/2" to 4 1/2". To me they are the finest vices in the world and the most generally useful. I teach other subjects and do other work than stockmaking. I have a large swivel base Kurt vise on the Bridgeport.

I am not aware of any quality swivel jaw vice currently manufactured, nor the pivoting jaw "machinist" vise you mention or the "pattern makers" vise? My Pal Jerry Fisher uses an antique Parker vise with a swivel jaw that must weigh a hundred pounds(?) I bought the 4" Wilton on my workbench new about 30 years ago as a present to myself when I built the workbench it's bolted to. I believe it cost about $300 then.

It seems like we had a very long thread on bench vices here years ago(?)Maybe you might start another and introduce the vice you use? Vices are one of my vises. I've lost track of how many are in my workshop??

Last edited by SDH-MT; 06/30/18 11:52 AM. Reason: edit