Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: canvasback
....The ethanol program is indefensible from every direction. Interesting to me, given the avowed conservatism of most of this board, how some favoured welfare programs get defended. Horrible when its a single black mother in Compton......just fine when its the farmer with a half section in corn.

I'm not so sure gasohol can be distinguished from many other unintended consequences. There's a lot of baggage that goes along with being pc unable to question the validity of pretty much anything 'green and renewable'.

Craig, it's easy to distinguish it. It was a scam based on poor science from the beginning and was only valuable to those who profited from it. It's effect on farm land/habitat, on decreasing availability of farm land for other crops, on the heavy use of chemicals to make marginal land productive and every other result were all predictable.

Again, so it's clear.....corporate welfare that is excused by many here while they vilify other types (that at least once had the gloss of reasonableness). Ethanol was the first real junk science used to dupe us out of public money to pad the profits of a relatively small group. Set the stage for the gullible public to buy into MMGW. (Sorry, Climate Change. Hahahaha!)

There was a hell of a lot of science that screamed that EtOH was a bad thing - but it was all shouted down at the time as being just part of a liberal agenda.

Climate Change is coming boys. And anthropogenic it is. Get used to it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]