Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Larry,
For a decade or so, my Darne Demonstrator gun was a 12 gauge R16, marked as 76mm chambers.

They are out there. Not common.

Gene, there is not a snowball's chance in he!! that gun has original case colors. Further, and not trying to rain on your parade, the gun reminds me of a brass era automobile, that someone chose to paint with candy tangerine metallic ureathane, with a clear coat.

Unfortunate, to my eyes.

Best,
Ted

Ted, there are obviously modern doubles chambered 3" in both 12 and 20ga. What I find interesting is Argo's page from Journee, referring to chambers as long as 90MM.

I have a more modern edition of Journee (1949) than his. And it obviously underwent significant editing and reorganization. My Section 5 is entitled "Choke Bored" and deals with the opposite end of the barrel from the chamber. Part of Section 4 refers to the chamber, which Journee specifies as being mostly made for shooting with 2 1/2" shells in 12-16-20ga, but 2 3/4" for 12ga pigeon guns. In the 2nd chapter, on cartridges, he warns against using 3" shells in 12's with 3" chambers and 2 3/4" shells in 16's and 20's with 2 3/4" chambers because of potentially dangerous pressures. But no mention of anything longer than 75MM.

I wonder if Journee wasn't getting a little "old fashioned" by the time of that later edition.

Last edited by L. Brown; 06/24/18 10:50 AM.