Hello ellenbr

Thanks for the reply.

I see the "stop". My rifle does not have this. However, it looks like the lever was a Helicobloc lever that has the name "stippled-over" but they left the pattern at the bottom untouched.

And, I finally made it to the range today to test this wonderful rifle. As you may be aware, I subscribe to the 75% rule for regulating my rifles. That is 75% velocity of the regulation load using the same bullet weight, will generally regulate the same as the full load. Since the regulation load for this rifle is 2200 fps with a 480g bullet, 75% velocity would be about 1650 fps with the same bullet. I didn't have any 480g bullets, but was able to acquire some 500g Hawk bullets in .482 dia. Here is the very first target I shot with this 75% load. You should have seen my smile - no buyer's remorse for this rifle. smile

I shot 20 shots with varying amounts of 3031 powder; 70g, 75g, 80g, and 83.5g, which was the full load as recommended by the former owner. I shot 10 pairs total and groups ranged from 5/8" to 4-11/16". On this next target, I shot a pair of full loads on the same target as the 75% loads. As you can see, there was not a lot of difference in regulation from the 75% load to the full 100% load. And the 75% practice load is a lot more fun to shoot, being only 40.9 ft/lbs of recoil, instead of 70.2 ft/lbs. Tomorrow I will shoot it again, with some AR5744 loads.

Perhaps, of interest to the forum members is my cooling tube. This improvised device really cuts down on the waiting time between shots strings. I shoot 4 rounds (2 pair) and insert the barrel into the cooling tube. This rig cools the barrels down to ambient temperature in about 3 - 5 minutes; about the time it takes me to step through the chronograph readings, record the shots in my notebook, and walk the 50 yards down-range to measure the holes in the target. This devise was made up using a 110 volt 2-speed fan, attached to various rubber plumbing adapters, and then attaching it to a 28" long piece of 4" diameter flexible plastic drainage tube. Total cost was about $35 including the fan. Lucky we have power at our range, otherwise I would have made one to run off my car battery.