Dilly541,
I can see how you are getting agitated, but don't worry, you will ultimately get it. You seem to understand very well, what I described. The EL was fit to another gun before, or at least someone tried. This is evidenced by the filing on the screw. With the screw bottomed out and that edge filed off, I'm perplexed that it is "standing proud". Without having it "in hand" it is a little difficult to know where the interference is. We may have to take it one step at a time, and this will take some time. Is your gun chambered for 70mm(2 3/4") or 65mm ( 2 1/2") shells? All mine were fit into 2 3/4" chambers. Lets try taking the screw all the way out, and loosening the "locking lug" all the way, and see if it will fit into the chamber-flush or below. If not, smoke the bottom part of the El with a lighter or candle, drop it back in and seat it with a little pressure. Take it out and see if there is an area of hard interference. Be sure there is no interference from the roll pin, by just pulling it "up" beforehand. Lets do this and see what we get. I'm a little bit disturbed that you can't adjust it to clear the barrel( I'm guessing you had the locking lug tight).They did make a different, special one for the left barrel and one for the "over" barrel of O/Us. See if there are any markings to indicate this on your EL. Let me know what you find.

Mike