I'm not going to argue that worldwide starvation would ensue if there were no more crops grown in America, but I believe it. There are millions of people worldwide that are able to eat because the American farmer can produce grains and oilseeds cheaper than anybody else, per unit. The point is that the American public expects cheap food, and government programs have been designed to keep it that way. Ag Sec'y Earl Butz was the one who said "Plant fence row to fence row boys, and we'll (government) sell it for you". Well, that worked great, albeit at the cost of wildlife habitat, until two embargoes singled out agricultural products and we lost the Russian market, then others. (They never came back, either.) Once again, American agriculture carried the weight for everybody else in America. Those two were unilateral embargoes, that affected no other American produced products except for agricultural.

Just say it once Larry, and I won't mention it again............ "The loss of wildlife habitat is not all farmer's fault. The consumers' demand for cheap food is partly to blame, too".

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/10/18 10:28 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.