Originally Posted By: LGF
JR and Stan - If Furadan granules are used correctly as Stan describes, it is of little danger to birds, but when it is broadcast on the surface it kills them in large numbers.

Of course it does, LGF. If an automobile is used in a way it is not designed, or legalized, to be, it will kill many people. We are not discussing what goes on in Africa, China and India on this thread, or we weren't, until you took it in that direction. We also weren't discussing the impact on lions and vultures due to off label use. We were, and I hope are, discussing the impact on quail, and specifically bobwhite quail. Understand that spreading Furadan on the surface of the soils is off label, and was never labeled by the EPA, or sanctioned by the maker FMC, for use in the USA or Canada, AFAIK.. The use of it in Kenya by ranchers to kill lions that were preying upon their livestock was not the intended use of the carbamate insecticide.

If the product is to be blamed when it is used in a manner unintended by the maker, then we are in big trouble. Consider gun control. That is the gun haters' biggest argument, that the gun itself is somehow evil. I won't bore you with numerous other examples of tools that are misused in the hands of criminals. Point is ............a product is not to blame when it is used in a criminal manner, unintended by the maker. If you can show me where Furadan was licensed and labeled for surface application in quail habitation areas I will stand corrected. But, if not, maybe sticking a little closer to the topic would be helpful.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.