Well, I have received my refurbished and refinished Hollenbeck drilling, see the pictures above. It was easy to get the drilling back into the United States but shipping and handling alone were over $400 for the return trip. My German friend and gunsmith also visited and we shot the gun, all barrels firing, however a number of things have humbled me with respect to the rifle: .25-25 Stevens. Trying 18 grains of IMR 3013 smokeless powder resulted high pressure signs: a split case, and primer with cratering. I also succeeded in breaking the tiny spring that retracts the rifle firing pin. As an experienced reloader I shouldve known better and have learned some lessons. I certainly had been warned to be careful about this but luckily I have not caused any serious damage to my weapon or myself. After I replace that tiny spring, I will resort to greatly reduced loads and Dacron filler or black powder, as originally designed. My German gun Smith does not think he will have any trouble finding the tiny spring, anybody on this forum know where I can get one? Once I sight in my rifle .25-25 Stevens to my Zeiss scope pivot mount, I can sight in the 30-30 insert and use reduced 30-30 loads,similarly I plan to use the RST light shot shells.
On a brighter note, I did buy Hollenbeck number 236 from Cherrys, shot it but found out the tiny spring to the .32-40 rifle is missing, this must be a common problem in these Hollenbeck drillings. Also, Ive made really good friends with Tobi Nisse, the German gunsmith,who is also in German gun dealer. I have applied for my FFL type eight to import and Tobi and I plan to bring in our first shipment of 50 drillings the summer. The liberal German government is destroying German hunting weapons by the thousands and we are going to save as many as we can! If things go as planned we will have a table at next years southern side by side full of drillings and I plan to bring old number 35 and number 236 Hollenbecks along too. Hopefully Ill have them sighted in and functioning by then and will have used them successfully hunting.