Hello All. I was having respectable success last year with refinishing damascus and twist barrels. It took more work since I'm not set up for logwood, but things were fine. Now they are not.

Several people I've spoken to, and read about, use the method of browning to develop contrast: rust, cold water or dry card, rust, card, rust, card, etc. until you start to get pattern. When you get the contrast you want, you convert to black oxide. I'm not getting the pattern development that others seems to get following the same process, so when I convert (steam), I end up with a lovely black barrel, and whatever contrast was there is gone. All of this is prior to etching, but I would expect that contrast would remain after conversion, since it was present prior. Even Dr. Gaddy was using the same process in one of his iterations.

I am not convinced that the rusting/carding process prior to conversion is effecting the iron content more than steel, which should develop the contrast, nor have I figured out why it's not. Perhaps I'm not rusting long enough and short cycling the rust development on the iron. Maybe it's a solution dilution issue.

My solution is Laurel Mtn., which is commonly used.

If any of you who've dealt with any similar situation were willing to share you experience, I would appreciate. It is a realistic pursuit of mine to start doing this for a living. I'm just trying to make a few barrels around look better, mostly a neat Washington patterned Levefer G grade of my own. If I can't get it right, I'll need to send it to one of you guys who can. This pattern is awesome and needs to show.

Thanks.