I spent a little time today studying the hook and disconnect plunger.

I think I now understand how it should work. With the forend off, the disconnect rod is pushed forward and should push the hook forward to let it pass the cocking lever.

The disconnect rod protrudes more than an 1/8" and can be pushed back in with some force and it springs back out smoothly. When it springs out, I can see something sliding forward in the bottom plate under the cocking lever.

I got the second cocking hook and compared it to the one that came with the barrels and they look identical.

I took out the hook plunger and spring and cleaned and oiled them and the hole - even though they seem to be working fine. The spring seemed stronger than necessary. I cleaned and stoned the sides of the hook.

Am I right in my thinking that the spring force of the disconnect pushing on the bottom of the hook has to be greater than the force of the hook spring in the lump to push the hook back?

Maybe try it without the hook spring and plunger?

Brian, I found the title of your article in the Parker Papers but could not get to the article. Is it only in print?

Thanks again guys,