When my dad was a young boy (born 1910) he lived in a house with a Puncheon floor. How many here even know what that is?? When I was in my teens he carried me to where it was still standing, but we weren't able to go inside, only saw it from the outside. Some years back my wife & I drove by the place again but the house was then gone. While living there my Grandmother threw some dishwater outside & threw off her wedding band. The entire family searched for it diligently but were unable to find it. A short while later they moved to the Metropolis of "Bell Buckle" TN. Some 20 years after the loss a gentleman knocked on the door of their home in Bell Buckle. He had the ring in his hand. His family had moved in to the house & had been planting some flowers & unearthed it. Her initials "ELF" were engraved inside. He had tracked her down by these & returned it. So far as I know she wore it from then until the day of her death, many years later.
My Grandmother's maiden name was Kelly & she married a Fulks. When she married her initials thus changed from "ELK" to ELF".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra