Most Repeating/SA arms whether rifle or shotgun simply do not lend themselves well to auto safeties, one would defeat their whole purpose. A double does lend itself to one. I have no problems with non-auto safeties but when one is so readily available I also see no use of depriving myself of whatever benefits it has, I Like them on my Hunting doubles.

Personally I NEVER EVER walk around in the fields & forests with an open gun, if you meet me afield expect to see my gun closed. If some precarious footing warrants it I will unload, then re-close the gun before preceding. A bad fall with an open gun has far greater potential of causing damage than to one closed & bolted. The worst fall I ever took while hunting I was carrying my FE Lefever, loaded & bolted. Though it hit the ground very hard it did not fire, nor suffer any damage other than a minor scratch or so.

Sear notches "Should" be placed as far from the sear axle as possible. I have several guns so set up. A J P Sauer & Sons/VL&D back action sidelock (lock plates shaped like a bar action) has the sears notches on their outer periphery with vertical sears. All of my Lefevers have the sear notches so placed with early ones having plate mounted sears & later ones frame mounted, but in both cases overhanging. None of these guns have intercepting sears & in my humble opinion, do not need them.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra