Originally Posted By: keith
....I discovered that one large slab had a long crack....

....I hoped might yield one or two full length rifle stocks. I should still get at least one two piece stock ad a number of forend blanks out of it if it doesn't get much worse....

Only a thought from a hobbyist point of view. Even though it seemed like a large slab, I'd consider leaving it quite a bit bigger when rough cut. If a big check starts, you can cross cut it off, but there's a good chance that it continues into the 'good' looking area. With oversized boards, I've had good luck just carefully splitting a board all the way through with a wedge. It may hang up on grain 'swirlies', and it can be finished with a best guess saw cut.

It'll generally follow the grain, you can rough clean it up on the band saw, then back on the drying stack. Early on, the wood does not need to look like a nicely milled up board or commercially prepped stock blank. I think CZ has a thought about sealing the end grain with things that may breathe a little less. I've had a chance to dry a fair bit of hardwood that's considered to be on the pricey side of things, and I've come to the conclusion quite a while ago to break it down purely for what I hope is quality and not worry about maximizing quantity. Best of luck with your stash, I'm sure you'll reveal some real gems when the time comes. Again, only thoughts of one way to look at it.