I would be more that happy to help with paper patching. I do a heck of a lot of it for both hunting and competitive target shooting. It is a comparatively easy way to shoot, but the best approach dependents on your ultimate goals.

Are you interested in shooting only smokeless? If so, then the bullet size you will find best is going to be groove diameter or groove diameter plus 1 thousandth. You will seat the bullet much like you would any grease groove bullet or copper coated bullet. Crimping is best if fairly light. You may be able to get away without crimping at all, if you can get the neck size of the brass just right to grip the bullet sufficiently. Belling the case mouth, if possible, will help a lot. If you do need to crimp, a taper crimp or lightly touching it up with a neck sizing die or a Full Length sizing die may be all you need to do.

If you would consider shooting black - this is where paper patching can work best. In MOST cases, the bullets are patched (and sized if necessary) to be Land Diameter. Upon ignition, they will expand into the rifling - even if made of very hard lead:tin alloy. A combination of wads and bullet lube are usually used. I can give you a run down on that, if you wish.

Bullets can be pure lead or as hard as at least 16:1. Hardness depends on application of course. Flat noses are ideal, and I find heavier is better, if your twist rate can handle it.

Done right, this is what happens.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]