Ok, my original take was that the snap cap bodies went into the bore. They did not, I guess, and they were stopped by the forcing cone before getting into the bore.

Also, I think you will find that the plastic snap caps are not as long as the chamber boring. I'd "guess" the plastic snap caps are 2.1" , or there abouts, long, so that if the rim was removed they would naturally slide down the chamber .65" before hitting the beginning of the forcing cone, which is 2 3/4" long in all probability. One might "guess" that the snap cap might then go into the forcing cone a tenth of an inch before being stopped by the taper of the forcing cone. When the snap cap is stopped, in this scenario, it will have moved .65" plus .10" or .75" from the face of the breech. If the snap cap is shorter or the forcing cone is longer or altered, then that distance would be greater.

In this event, a loaded 2 3/4" shell could not be inserted and fired with the broken snap caps stuck in the forcing cones. A lot of aggravation , but no danger of the snap cap blockage of an exploding shell.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/05/17 02:49 PM.