Originally Posted By: keith
I'm also very much in favor of starting a kid out with single shot rifles and shotguns. They are a great choice from the standpoints of learning proper gun handling and safety, and learning there is more to good shooting than flinging the maximum amount of lead. I started out with the 20 gauge version of the aforementioned Savage model 220 hammerless which I bought with my paper route money. I still have it, and still have the Winchester Model 67A single shot .22 that Santa Claus left under the tree when I was 10. They both provide a lot of memories, and I can't imagine ever selling them.

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3

James: he out-grew his Model 12 (1913 20 bore). Too short now.

But since the genie is already out of the bottle, and your son has been using a shortened 20 ga. Model 12, the most cost effective solution might be to simply buy a longer buttstock to get a few more years out of his present shotgun. You could hang on to the shortened butt to make it suitable for another kid in the future... maybe your grandson.

I recommend nice vintage 1100 20ga with 26" barrel Mod choke or less. Those from 70s with mahogany stocks are particularly nice. There is no point in getting something where one has to work the slide when the gun mechanism can do that for you and reduce felt recoil through impulse redistribution ("splitting"). If one wants less cleaning/maintenance and more trouble free service than I guess Beretta 300 or 400 20ga would be the way to go.