I think we are referring to "Acanthus Leaf" engraving. This was used on the 1 1/2. I can't recall if it was used on the #1 Special, as John noted. It certainly may have been. In a previous thread someone, possibly Walt, made the point that on the 1 1/2, they went to Acanthus Leaf during the summer of 1906. (or was it 1908?). So, this predates Researcher's info somewhat. Before, the 1 1/2 had the Dog, simple border engraving, and 2-iron Damascus barrels, usually made by Heuse Riga-Fils. Nice thing is that the crolle is proportional to the gauge, I've recolored 20, 16 and 12 gauge HRF sets, the smaller crolle especially is beautiful. What is really certain is that there was lot's of variation throughout the models offered.

I know of one member that has used this info to his advantage, as he found an early 1 1/2 20ga. gun with the earlier engraving, and since book values for the 1 1/2 are based on the later AL engraving, once he pointed that out he was able to negotiate a significant discount.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 08/13/17 08:11 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.