My hammerless side lock non-ejector Clabrough is SN 4230. It carries post 1887 proof marks, were the hammerless guns SN'd in a different sequence from the hammer guns. This one is marked J P Clabrough & Bros London Fine Damascus on the rib & J P Clabrough & Bros on both lockplates.
Proof marks on the barrel are Birmingham & have the 12C in diamond for chamber, 12 (for bore) on both barrels & the word Choke on each barrel which should put it at least as late as 1887. It has double underbolts with an un-bolted doll's head. Per the above mentioned 1895/96 catalog this would be the #1 (Field) grade with a catalog price of $50.00 at that point. Has 28" barrels with a weight of 6lb 14 oz with about a Ľ choke in both barrels. Some years back I hunted it rather extensively for a few seasons with some 1 oz loads @ about 8K psi of either #8 or #6 shot depending upon what I was hunting that day. Using #8 for quail or woodcock & #6 for Beagle chased Cottontails it was pure poison. It fits me to near perfection & I shot it as well or better than any other shotgun I have ever used.
Even though it was Clabrough's bottom of the Line I have found it to be very well made. It is still on Face & bolts up tightly even though there is no wear compensation to the bolts, the top lever always stops at center with the barrels on or off. There is no hold over latch for the top lever so it also returns to center when the gun is opened with barrels intact. This gun along with another or so I have owned over the years with non-compensating bolts which likewise bolted up tight has caused me to question if the extra friction as the tapered bolts seat do not perhaps induce as much (or More) wear as they compensate for.
All in all I have found this old Clabrough to be a reliable & capable gun. The locks incidentally on this gun are back action even though the plates resemble a bar action.
Many many years ago, probably at least 40 years, at a gun show in Nashville TN I saw an 8 gauge hammerless Clabrough.

PS;
I forgot to add, on the left action flat of this hammerless are the following marks. Near the left edge is a diamond, with the point starting near the breech & the long axis running lengthwise down the bar. This diamond was not fully stamped. What I can make out inside is the word Patent starting near the point next to the breech. Cannot make out anything in the upper half of the diamond. to the right & slightly lower is the small numbers 81. Then below this centered on the lower point is the number 397.
Then near the slots for the barrel lumps, also reading from the breech outward is stamped; Makers Patent Action 257764. This is a US patent issued May 9, 1882 to J T & J Rogers of Birmingham Eng for a Hammerless Cocking Mechanism. I have no idea of the connection between the Roger's & J P Clabrough.

Last edited by 2-piper; 07/31/17 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Info

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra