Sometimes I do wonder if people read what you write then try to put their own changed interpretation on things causing me to doubt myself.
Now why am I saying this?!! For a start in the bluing tank formula I posted I did say it is used at boiling point, now as this is a very old formula used possibly for a hundred years or more the instruction for use is very clear use at boiling point and keep the water volume the same as when first mixed. There is no mention of thermometer just use at boiling point! What surprises me is that in basic High School Physics there is an experiment that if you dissolve table salt (Sodium Chloride) in pure fresh water its boiling point temperature increases, now dissolving eight pounds plus of salts in ten pints of water will sure raise the boiling point considerably.
Next Solder. This subject is possibly one of the least understood especially regarding the Lead Tin varieties. The common two varieties we come across are the 60% 40% Tin Lead or Lead Tin but that is just scratching the surface. Here in Brit land before WW2 there where many manufactures of industrial “Soft Solders” each with their own little adjustments to the basic formula i.e. The addition of small amounts of Copper, Bismuth, Aluminium to name just three, all to adjust the eutectic (the melting point of the alloy) giving a melting point span from about 78C Pewtalloy (Woods metal) to over 200C known as high temperature soft solder.
Because the melting point span of differing makers soft solder could be so great unless you really do know the melting point of the solder used in their construction the instruction is “Do not put soft soldered double gun barrels in the tank.”
Now finally Lead and Tin are two of the least reactive metals hence their use in roofing and the food canning also rust protection industries.
Is it really me???

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!