Hello from MT! Am a newbie to these forums and a senior, so be kind.
Was trolling a comercial selling site online looking for some antique rifle inlays for a project. Came across what was advertised as a fine English shotgun from the period 1770 to 1830's. Gun was seperated into three pcs. to each be sold individually, with a break on cost if purchasing more than one. Price was fair and gun seemed in much better than average condition with good unbroken wood. Lots of lightly engraved metal, 38 in Damascus London Fine Twist dbb. Maker Wm. Chance of Birmingham. Ad said name or initials carved in stock. Very surprised when it came. Had TENNESSEE stamped on stock right side and initials and , Name J M Ring on other. Didn't make sense to me to see such on a better English Double? Ended up in Civil War Forum. Turned out name belonged to Confederate Calvary Pvt. from Marshall County Tennessee (Marshall's Raiders). Learned that State Stamp ment gun travelled through Arsenal and delivered by wagon back to troops. Anyone out their have an early era piece with a State stamp into stock? Have seen pic online of one from Ohio and one from Maryland . Amazed to learn doubles favored by some calvary for duration of war (buck and ball. When seeing gun advertised with carved stock I almost didn't buy it. Who would do a primative carving on nice wood?
While waiting for delivery I contemplated a restoration as they look so nice. Be careful not to be to quick to scrape this history away from civilian looking shotguns from these earlier times! Confederate stuff scarcer then hens teeth, especially tied to man and unit I've been told? A bit of a windfall!