I own CPA rifles, modern interpretation of the Stevens 44 with some changes to make them more capable. Bushed firing pin, gas escape hole bottom of the breech block. Bit wider action allows larger barrel shank, and modern steel. Originals dont have any of the upgrades. They are Switch barrels and one of my guns has had a 219 Zipper barrel and now carries a 25 Kraig and a 30 Kraig. Either case can be loaded pretty hot if you so desire.

Action design is strong block rocks on closing which cams in cases well, but has limitations. The CPA, Wider and better steel is a big improvement over original Stevens which were known for soft metal. Any single shot is not going to extract as well as a bolt action, not as much leverage . If a case lets go the block hole will help but gas is going to escape between the block & barrel. Case head is not captured within the action like a bolt gun. The 44 action was one of the first to be wildcatted with necked down 30 Kraig, was probably the first action chambered for the 25 Kraig. Lot done way back when thats not safe todays thinking. I think its about 2nd in strength to a Winchester High Wall, but not a close 2nd. Even with my upgraded actions I dont push the 25 or 30 Kraig cases much at all. You could do the same with a wildcatted original load it light.

2nd Barrel for original 44 is fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain from CPA rifles in many calibers. I dont think the Clark is suitable for it though. If you think the gun is nice buy it and get a modest cartridge new barrel. 1500 with the scope it would be well bought. CPA list all suitable cartridges on their web site, figure little over 600 for a 2nd barrel. 44 1/2 works well with 30/30 case head cartridges. This all opinion somebody else may have a different one.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 05/23/17 06:09 PM.