A solution to trolling and continual caterwauling messing up our great forum is embodied in Stan's apology, plain as pudding:

"I must attempt to make amends for what has become my sometimes rude and callous manner of posting. I have realized this because I have been made aware that I have alienated a longtime forum friend on here. He, very graciously, private messaged me, and in a very gentlemanly way, caused me to do some self evaluation. I realized that I had responded to a post of his in a sarcastic and caustic manner.

"I make no excuses, and apologize not only to him, but to all my friends on here to which I have become less than considerate. I especially thank him for being man enough to point out my indiscretions in such a way as to cause me to take a good look at myself. I am grateful for that.

"The very things I have disdained in a few here, I had carelessly become. That is hypocritical on my part, and I will work to correct such behavior in the future. I am grateful for the many friends I have here, and hope to restore your confidence by becoming more like what I admire in so many of you."

To have the forum we want, the one we joined for, and to be the men we want to be and not the ones we are, requires a modicum of common decency that we extend to face-to-face encounters: respect and no unwarranted accusations and designating as liars and anti-gun those of varying opinions.

Fifteen years of my almost daily visits here confirm there are no anti-gun members. There's no reason we can't participate in the same generous way we discuss our opinions of hockey and whisky. Nothing seems certain and no one knows everything. Stan's integrity is no sure cure. It's a good start.