Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Brent, it will be 25" if it's factory and hasn't been cut.

Just measured it. 25" it is. It seems to be exactly the same as the new gun, just shorter. Both are model 100s. When I bring it up, they are both about the same. Both feel slightly short to me, but in any event, they are not different in anyway I can discern except barrel length, curvature, and the ugly orange fiber optic bead on the 28" version. I assume that is screwed or glued on. It has to go. The short one has a simple silver bead.

Quote:
If your short barreled gun is also a Model 100, they have something of a cult following with grouse and woodcock hunters. Short barrels, light, relatively open chokes. But they are hard guns to shoot well at targets, because they are both short and light. Either put a beavertail forend on those guns (like the 200's or the 280's) to add a bit more weight forward, or make the barrels longer, like 28". Either will make for a better target gun. But the problem with the long barrels is that they're choked tighter, which means they aren't such a great choice for skeet. Too bad Ithaca didn't offer those 28" barreled Model 100's with more open chokes.

I'm happy with the tighter chokes. I will use it on pheasants more than anything and mixed birds in Nebraska this fall. I don't shoot targets seriously or even semiseriously. But I will probably shoot them weekly this year just because a friend of mine wants to shoot and I enjoy it. But I don't get serious about shotgunning targets other than I try hard. Rifles are different that way...

Quote:
Try pre-mounting that short barreled SKB and shooting low house birds from station 7 on the skeet field. That will likely tell you if the gun isn't shooting where you aim it. If you're not hitting there, then a pattern board will tell you which way you're off, and how far. Or rather the gun's off, if you're pre-mounting.

Premounting or not, I can't hit with it. It is abysmal. Or I am abysmal when using it. With my other doubles I am an average shooter I suppose. But nothing makes me hit with that short gun. I have tried lacing pads on it to make it longer and that was no help either.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]