Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

I never hunted true hares, unless those long front legged rabbits that you see in southern MN count

Ted, unless your Sotan jacks are different than the ones we have in Iowa, where they really differ from a cottontail is long BACK legs.

Re the 16, my first classic double was a pre-WWII Sauer in that gauge. Had the chambers punched (before I knew better), and shot a large pile of pheasants with it--the vast majority with the high brass 1 1/8 oz loads. I wasn't into weighing guns back then, but I'm sure my Sauer was under Mr. Greener's recommended rule of 96 weight for that particular load. Would not have wanted to shoot a round of trap or skeet with those.

I killed a 25# gobbler with a 1 1/4 oz 16ga "magnum" out of an old Stevens sxs. Shot a few of those--very few--at pheasants. Decidedly unpleasant, mainly because--once I did start weighing guns--I seldom owned a 16ga double that weighed more than 6 1/2#.

For those who prefer simpler math, I've seen many vintage writers tout the 16 based on the fact that the standard 1 oz load is the same as the weight of a solid lead ball that will fit in the barrel. Doesn't work so well for the other gauges.