the possum,
Be advised that any welded receiver is cause for rejection by the German Proof Houses. Of course I know the drilling is not located in Germany and will not be subject to mandatory proofing. Just be very cautious and evaluate the potential effects of welding the receiver. Also, you should evaluate the probable cause of the crack, in the first place. I have one that is also cracked, and I am convinced it cracked by shooting the shotgun rather than the rifle, as one would naturally suppose. This one is a 12 ga which naturally has short chambers. In addition to the centerline of 12 ga. chambers being higher than 16 ga. would be(creating a longer "lever arm" to transmit forces to the receiver through a larger "piston"), it also has a tight bore, as often found in 12 ga. drillings( often with 13 or 13/1 ga barrel). I think using 2 3/4" high pressure shells could have been the cause of the crack. Also,it has a "D" chamber which makes it unlikely that easily available 9.3X72R Norm. was used in it. You might evaluate yours, considering these or similar factors.
Mike