I was in the UK about 6 weeks after 9/11. The support shown to their American guests was much appreciated.

Meanwhile, a local news story yesterday related how an Afghan now resident in Iowa--former interpreter for the US military--only managed to get an expedited hearing before an immigration judge because of the intervention of Senator Grassley. The Special Visa Program for such individuals has been reauthorized, but with a quota of only 1,500 visas per year. It's estimated that about 10,000 Afghans eligible for the program are waiting in Afghanistan . . . their lives in danger from the Taliban. And the US Embassy in Kabul has ceased conducting interviews for the program.

When some here--perhaps never even having worn their country's uniform--choose to pontificate upon whom should or should not be allowed to immigrate . . . let me say that I'd happily trade any of those individuals for Afghans and Iraqis who've put their lives on the line, working with our military in the war on terror.

The problem isn't shutting the door. Rather, it's making sure we're letting the right ones in. Keeping out those who've earned their way, just because of their nationality or religion, is wrong.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/23/17 07:58 AM.