I think you would be money ahead buying your wife a modern O/U with no cast and having the LOP adjusted to her specifications.
The gun was a generous gift. Altering it to fit the wife might diminish that gift, particularly when you get the bill. Far from being a safe queen, that one looks to have led a useful life. It is not rare or particlarly valuable, based solely on what it is, and will not likely be worth the costs to fit it to your wife for her to do her best shooting with the gun. Sad fact.
If your son shoots, and is right handed, the gun might work out better for him. Problem with many kids is the lack of interest in the history of their parents possessions, and the gun making a one way trip to a pawn shop or consignment gun store. Still another sad fact.
We haven't heard from the actual owner of the gun (your wife) and while there are many that would simply tell you to do what you will with it, there are more than a few that won't. Or, won't be happy with the result. It won't look or feel like the generals gun after this is over.
Tread carefully. I see a lot of expense making it her gun, versus the previous owners.
I presume it fit him well.

Best,
Ted