Greener's eh?

The GP is a strange beast - I agree that they have a charm and a degree of historical pedigree that makes them interesting, they are also very simple,tough and cheap so good fun to customise if so inclined (like Eugene).

The trigger pull is horrible.

I see them with everything from 25" to 34" barrels, black, red, polished and colour hardened actions and wood that varies from yellow to deep dark red/brown.

I have a picture of myself shooting a rare 'Trap Model made for the USA - complete with monte-carlo stock and raised ventilated rib!

The side safety idea was primarily one of strength - less wood removed from the hand of the stock, which flexes when the gun is fired.You either like 'em, hate 'em or just adjust when you have one and have no strong opinion either way. To my mind it is just another varient and works well if you have one fitted, just as a side lever works well - even if you are used to a top lever.

Inlaid fancy wood diamonds are common on higher grade Greeners, as are more intricate shaped patterns for the checkering.

The top extension and bolt is Greener's Treble Wedge Fast patent and it is invariably beautifully engineered when encountered on Greener guns, unfortunately on many cheap guns by lesser makers, it can be so poorly made as to be useless. Quality counts.

The Gun and it's Development is a great historical rteference but it is not the least bit impartial - if you read it you emerge believing that Greener was the cleverest, most inventive, most honourable and most authoritative firearms expert in the world.Exactly as he intended.

Remember, he was a gunmaker and a businessman and his book was of huge advertising value - he was very aware of this in all that he wrote and he needs to be read in context.