Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Extension looks very nice. The reason I always suggest the use of ebonite in place of ebony is that everything ebony I own...is cracked or has started to crack. Ebonite can be easily checkered or grooved. Horn is beautiful, but sucks in the long run and I don't know anybody who enjoys working horn.
Anyway, the extension is classy and looks up to the quality of the gun, thumbs up.

I don't do the work myself so I'm not quite as bothered by the smell of horn. LOL But having had a couple done, why do you say it sucks in the long run. And how long a run do you mean. 10 years or 80 years.

Worms. Shrinks. Cracks/delaminates. Changes colors over time, sometimes becomes semi-transparent. Very difficult to work. Horrible to checker. Stinks. Expensive.
With all that said....when it's done right, it's beautiful when finished. As for time...I'll admit I have no good answer. I have 100+ year old guns that have all the symptoms I've described....I have 40 year old guns with some of the listed symptoms. Nothing specific to offer, sorry.

Last edited by LeFusil; 03/03/17 02:30 PM.