Originally Posted By: bonny
Originally Posted By: Nudge

3. English 'best' guns were -- and are -- built for a man whose hands have quite literally never seen dirt. Most of their shooting in the golden age was purely for sport. Hence the emphasis on how light and dainty they were/are. This is probably less so with the Germans and their superb guild guns, as even the aristocracy had a rich hunting-for-the-table lifestyle heritage.

- Nudge

Some time ago i was looking for blueprints or plans for a british falling block rifle action. On some of the other websites this attitude came up about the american actions being superior because they were designed for working men who got their hands dirty, where as the british actions were meant for use by people who never done a days work in their lifes.
My response is "so what". Its an attitude i used to hear from a marxist/communist chap who used to come to my workplace looking for us to join the trade union. Yes he did call eveyone "comrade".

Sounds like a pretty immature, mixed in with a little bit of jealousy, opinion. President Teddy Roosevelt loved his Winchester but when he ran into all those big, gut smashing pachyderms in Africa he went with his Holland & Holland.