Larry,
The 1 1/4 oz load wasn't needed in England, and, truth be told, wasn't needed the great majority of the time, here, either.
I use them when it gets cold, temps around zero start affecting shotshell performance. I go right back to 1 1/8th oz if it warms up a bit. I never give it much thought, but, the Federal Pheasants Forever load is likely outside of what my Silver Snipe is proofed for.

Not my R10, however.

Using the English gun, as intended, would cover 90% of what goes on here in the states. Maybe 95%.
All Olin's test really proved to me was that ALL the guns he tested were more than strong enough for what they were intended for. I'd also be curious to see what would happen if a variety of American designs had visited the French proof house back in the day, and been submitted for triple proof. Would they hold together?
Hard to say.
Seems like it is a lot easier to find an American "project" gun at a show, than anything English. Anecdotal, for sure, but, I wish I had a buck for every broken Yank double I'd ever seen at a show in my life.
While it won't likely be shooting any longer than your NID that you sold, I'd much rather have that 30" Webley 12 that is over on the for sale section. Most people would, I'm thinking, which explains the price difference.
A gun can be a tool and be beautiful, as well, as that gun so well illustrates.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=471583#Post471583

Best,
Ted