Bill,
It is about 7 lbs. When I was importing them, I had a Bruchet produced demonstrator R16, 3" magnum 12 with 31 1/2" tubes that was closer to 8 pounds. But, that is, of course, the exception. A lot of the sales literature from the Stoeger and James Wayne era promotes the short barrel/light gun ideas that were all the rage with some gun writers of the time. If you look at the photos in the 1965 Shooters Bible of Roger Barlow, shooting his custom Darne, you will see his gun was a big 12, with a factory fitted beavertail and long tubes. But, the article promotes light guns with short barrels.
The average French hunting trip will involve hunting more than one species, and a lot of walking, way more walking than shooting. I could see a light load of shot in the open barrel for a woodcock or hickory grouse, and a heavier load of 3s or 4s for hares, foxes, capercallies, or small pigs in the other. The heavy proof would cover what you needed to get done, and French proof was, by law, the heaviest in Europe.

Most of the Darne guns that were imported here were not custom ordered with specifications regarding user fit, they were simply what the importers thought would sell. And that is truly a pity, a Darne, perhaps more so than any other design, needs to fit the user well.

Take your time, grasshopper. Easier to buy than to sell, and you want the right gun.

Best,
Ted