Dead horse or not, here's my take, craig. The ban should not apply to everyone everywhere. Lead is dead compared to its earlier major role in society. Its perniciousness has been recognized for a long time.

Benjamin Franklin in 1786: "...the Opinion of this mischievious Effort from Lead is at least above Sixty Years old; and you will observe with Concern how long a useful Truth may be known and exist, before it is generally receivd and practisd on

A couple hundred years later, UNCED 1992 came up with its Precautionary Principle: "Where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent environmental degradation."

Most waterfowlers know of dozens of places where lead could be measured in tons within a gunshot. Nontox should be used in any locales of similar exposure to avians. I've seen dozens of ducks carried off by raptors but never grouse or pheasants.

I speak solely from my experience. If some see it as a tactic, imputing some sort of ulterior motive, I declare a bias for prudence with respect for the game. Larry said the same thing. It's sensible and reasonable to me. The ban should not apply to everyone everywhere.