Lloyd,
I suspect the fact that you travel so far to your hunting destinations has amplified the fit issues 'twixt summer and winter guns for you. A guy only wants to drag so many guns along on a 777, no?
Also, in a perfect world, we would all have the time for proper dress rehersal with both designs of intended guns for each season. Three months of twice weekly practice on a skeet or sporting clays course, prior to the commencement of the bird season, would go a long way toward eliminating the difference in perceived shooting ability between your double and your pump. As a kid, with but one repeater, a gun you handled at grousemas, the model 17 Remington that has been part of my life for 40 seasons this year, it was noted by several that I could get two shots off faster than they could with their autos.
It was true, at the time, Not so much, now.
Almost by accident, I have accumulated guns with longer and shorter LOP. I imagine you have as well, although longer might be tough for you, as you require a bit more than I do. Grouse, truth be told, seldom allow for a second shot. The problem is less complex than we might imagine.
Practice with both designs will go a long way toward filling the bag. If it is cold in Denver, today would be a great day to dress up and shoot a few rounds of skeet, with the short LOP pumpgun, versus reading a book or doing laundry in the afternoon, although, I understand the need to do both of those tasks.
I truly hate single triggers, except one-the one installed in the Beretta Silver Snipe my Father left to me, a non selective trigger, with plenty of room in the guard for a gloved trigger finger. My Dad had a short LOP requirement, which leaves the gun too short for most warm weather pursuits, but, just fine in winter. I have also discoved that right now 'tis the season to shoot and enjoy a 28 gauge Darne V19, that has a shorter LOP than is ideal for me, and my skeet scores have gone up with the little toy since I have been shooting it the last two months or so. I still shiver a bit, out there, even when dressed for it.
Roll with the changes, I guess, and not against them.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted