Actually, the founding fathers did, Stan. None, however, were pacifists who believed in peace at any price. Nor do I. But in the entire American continuum there was no unanimity in how to remove inequality where "all men were created equal." Franklin spent better part of his life in London trying to convince the British of equality of Americans. There's Jefferson, Hamilton and Abigail's advice to husband John Adams to "Look after the ladies."

Your reference to my admired countryman James getting it reminded me of a common humanity shared by Canadians and Americans who put friendship before politics on both sides of the longest undefended border in the world. They abjure ignorance that divides and find better fraternal purposes. They recognize communicating with only those who agree with them politically is to live in sterile orbits of their own.

My correspondents here from Deep South to the Left Coast are the same as Canadian conservatives and liberals who brighten daily my sense of community and love. They accept there's no black hats and white hats, one way or the highway, I'm smart you're dumb. They're seekers in a world of not all darkness but shadow, all tribunes according to their ability to shine merciful light. Like Abraham Kuyper said.