craig, as I said, I'd be less dubious about a flat tax if the comfortable weren't pushing it so hard. The rich and influential look after their interests first as the rest of us watch their sectors stagnating and social welfare lengthening. Public investment in commercial and military research and development rises in Canada while productivity falls and business lines its pockets.

The US Department of Defense--- funded by American taxpayers---will continue to be the global technology developer, as it was in the 20th century i.e. the Internet, fibre optics, transistors, micro chips, smaller and smaller digital computers, advanced materials. Fortunes abound but increasingly the middle class lives on crumbs from the outstretched hand of charity.

All reflected in the phenomenal and unprecedented attractions of Bernie and Donald and a country with the least popular presidential nominees in its history. And, what kind of a flat tax is critical. There are several. Anyone selling flat tax because it's simple makes me wary.