Getting down to the short rows on my LC Smith project. I got the trigger plate welded and dresses down. It doesn't look perfect but a guy has to know when to quit. I finished up some fill work with Acraglas and started some final fitting. Looking good. I should have stopped.

I made a post pushing tool similar JDW pictured but used a small bar clamp. The fixed end jaw of the clamp has a plastic shield that slips off. I just slipped off the plastic shield and drilled a hole in it. I cut back an 8d nail and slipped it through the hole in the shield and then reinstalled the shield onto the clamp plate.

With parts fitted and tool made, I started to assemble the action to the buttstock. A bit of a struggle holding everything inline and working the post pusher tool. It was working but not well. Then crack. The tool slipped and the nail in the hole split a crack in the stock. Not a major crack. It won't be hard to repair. But it's going to delay the project.

I think I figured out two things. 1) The hole for the pin to enter to push the post needs to be bigger and slightly further back than I made it. 2) The left sideplate needs to be in place so the clamp will have a uniform platform to rest the clamp on.