Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Hambidge:
North Carolina is as bad or worse than the rest of the SE states regarding small game repopulation. As Vice-President of the NC Handicapped Sportsman Inc. I've participated in the Study groups for hunter retention ad nauseum. Saddly small game is way down the list of NCWD priorities. They have some wonderful study plots(CURE) but only open to select drawings. The millions of NC Game Lands Acres are a veritable ecologic wasteland for small game. They give a myriad of reasons, "words, not birds!" Now down off my soap-box. Best, Dr. BILL
Bill I think that's the reason for the decline in hunters. Small game managment needs to be top priority.
Tennessee has went so far as to hire a guy to tell them why hunter numbers have declined and why people quit hunting ?
I think a big part of the reason lies in the fact that all the Game and Fish people have worried about was big game.
Small game hunting is fun...big game hunting can be boring to a young hunter. I know several people that only exposed their sons to big game hunting and their sons all stopped hunting.

We need new bumper stickers..."Take a Child Small Game Hunting".
L.F.