Originally Posted By: Argo44
I'm working on a translation of a brief article on the "Helice" locking system because I'm pretty sure that "Wonder" lock is a "Helice" copy. The Verney-Carron lock as Larry has said was created in 1896 as an improvement on the Lefaucheux system itself improved by Webley. But it apparently wasn't patented until 1918 by "Helice," a disciple/employee of Verney-Carron, and didn't expire till 1970. And up until 1918 it was shamelessly copied. If this is correct...then the plain Jane I bought has to be pre 1918 because that patent, once registered was pretty zealously enforced.

Model of the lock:

Verney-Carron with a version of the Helice lock engraved from the 1960 catalogue.

Other versions of the lock:

I'll be looking over the shoulder of my gunsmith to confirm my suspicions.

That little swell on the left side of the receiver, into which fits the concavity on the left side of the toplever, is a great place to get a really painful pinch of one's finger or palm. The return spring is pretty darn strong, so it will snap quick and tight if you let it. The swell also functions as a great stop for the toplever's travel.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent